If you would like to receive news and updates from us by email you can subscribe to our mailing list on our Newsletter Page
Notices for Sunday 8 December 2019
1. The December Diocesan Magazine is available in the churches. It is also time to renew subscriptions for the Diocesan Magazine. The cost is €25 which can be passed on to the church wardens.
2. The Mothers‘ Union Christmas Dinner will take place on Sunday the 8th December at 1:30PM in Eldon Hotel Skibbereen.
3. Advent Course, Living out discipleship in Christ: Jesus comes to us in Advent, that we might follow him. Over three weeks during Advent we will begin exploring how we welcome Jesus into our lives as we exploring through the Scripture how we might follow him, his teachings, and his ways. The course is suitable to all people who are interested in following the teachings of Christ. The course will be offered at both in the morning and evening for added convenience. We will meet on the 9th and 16th of December from 11:30 until 12:30 in the Bank House in Ballydehob. For those who prefer evenings, the course will meet also on the 12th and 19th of December from 8 until 9 pm in the Bank House in Ballydehob. We welcome and look forward to seeing you and your guests on these occasions.
4. There will be a Holy Communion Service this Thursday morning at 11am the 12th of December in Saint Matthias Church in Ballydehob, followed by refreshments in the rectory. We welcome you and your guests.
5. All are welcome to the Christmas concert, “A Night at the Movies” which is being presented by the transition year students, and taking place on Wednesday the 18th and Thursday the 19th of December at 7:15 pm at Schull Community College. The doors open at 6:30 pm on each evening.
Saint Anne’s Hospital in Skibbereen: The residents of St. Anne’s Hospital Skibbereen would appreciate visits from Volunteers for social interaction, to read or discuss the newspaper, play cards, play bingo, sing a song, play the piano, assist with outings or be innovative in doing something new. For further details, you are welcome to contact Ms Tara O’Donovan, Clinical Nurse Manager, on Tel. 028-38132.
Cancer Connect is a brilliant initiative between West Cork Rural Transport and the hospitals in Cork City. A rare occasion of the left hand and the right hand actually working together. People who need radiotherapy have to receive a 10-minute treatment every day for 35 days. This radiotherapy can only be administered in The Regional Hospital in Cork, so a really tiresome daily trek is needed. The West Cork Rural Transport provide a daily mini-bus service from Goleen along the N71 to Cork which is free to any patient requiring this treatment. The really excellent part of this is that the Regional Hospital ensure that any patients from West Cork will receive their treatment between noon and 1pm.
A further service is now in place whereby patients requiring chemotherapy and other cancer treatments can avail of a private car and driver. The drivers of both services are volunteers, and so far more than 300 trips to Cork Hospitals have been provided. If you feel you can help with driving, once a month is all that is needed, please contact Helen on 027 52727. Or if you know of any patients who may find the service of use, please call Helen on 027 52727. The proceeds of the Pancake Day coffee morning were donated to this excellent service.
The Aughadown Church Hall If you know of anyone who is having a party, family gathering, wedding reception, children’s party, and are looking for a venue, please suggest the Church Hall at Church Cross. It comes with a well equipped kitchen; good parking; lots of space outside if you have youngsters wanting to run about and let off steam, and is very reasonable to hire.
The Aughadown Walking Group meets every Monday and Thursday at 10am at the GAA Community Hall at Church Cross. All are welcome to join the Group for a walk. The walk lasts about 40 minutes along local lanes, all of which are fairly flat and sheltered. It is not a route march, a race or over-strenuous, but an opportunity to get fit and socialise. There is no charge and for further information please call Brigid O’Brien on 38132.